Sarson ka Saag with Makki ki Roti Recipe
Feb 02, 2021
Classic Punjabi dish: Sarson ka saag and Makki ki roti. Better had with some white butter, jaggery or honey. As a traditional Punjabi dish, saag means green, sarson means mustard. Not only is it rich in antioxidants, a strong source of iron, but it is also heavy with fiber. Sarson ka saag along with a flat cornbread called Makki ki roti makes a tasty and nutritious dinner. Follow this Recipe for the best Sarson ka Saag and Makki Ki Roti to make at home!
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 2 hrs 10 mins
TOTAL TIME: 2 hrs 20 mins
COURSE: Main Course
SERVINGS: 5 persons
- 1) 750 g Sarson Saag
- 2) 250 g Palak Saag
- 3) 250 g bathua saag
- 4) 2 cup water with a pinch of salt
- 5) 1½ cup Makki atta
- 6) 4 green chili
- 7) 25 g ginger
- 8) 2 Onions
- 9) 6 Garlic cloves
- 10) 100 g ghee
- 11) ½ tbsp red pepper powder
- 12) ½ tbsp garam masala
- 13) ½ tbsp coriander powder
FOR MAKKI KI ROTI:
- 1) ½ kg Makki Atta
- 2) Water (for kneading)
- 3) Ghee (for frying)
Instructions for Saag :
- 1) Add the three; saag, salt, and water into the pressure cooker & cook over low heat for 1.5 hours.
- 2) Squeeze out the saag and keep the water aside. Mash the saag in the cooker until finely chopped, add the Makki atta, and mix.
- 3) Put back saag water and a little freshwater & boil on slow fire.
- 4) Add green chilies and ginger then cook till saag gets thick.
- 5) For tadka, add chopped ginger, garlic, onions, garam masala, dhania, red pepper powder and cook until onions are light brown.
- 6) Mix the Saag and garnish with the julienne of ginger fried in the ghee.
Instructions for Makki ki Roti :
- 1) Knead the Makki atta until it creates a ball-type shape, adds atta to dry it & knead.
- 2) Heat the frying pan and add a little ghee so that it does not stick.
- 3) Make round shapes of Makki roti and carefully move to the pan.
- 4) Cook Roti in ghee till golden brown.
- 5) Makki ki Roti and Saag is Ready !
Serve Makki ki Roti with hot Sarson ka saag for more to taste present gurr and white butter.
Follow Food of Pakistan for the Best Blogs and Recipes related to Traditional and famous foods of Pakistan.